Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bountiful Baskets 101


One of my favorite ways to get fresh fruits and veggies is via Bountiful Baskets. Before I found Bountiful Baskets, I had been researching other co-ops and just wasn't ready for the long term commitment. What I loved about Bountiful Baskets is that you can order on a week to week basic. Since I started a few years ago, it has really taken off in Utah and there are so many locations available.

Here's how it works. You place your order on Monday/Tuesday. I pay $16.50 for two circular laundry baskets full of fruits and veggies. You can see everything I got this week in the picture above! You select a location and then pick it up Saturday morning. The co-op is entirely run by volunteers. In fact, my sister in law runs one of community sites. Bountiful Baskets doesn't have store fronts ... you just pick it up at various community locations. You don't know what fruits and veggies you will get in advance, but it is always a great variety of in season produce. It's been fun trying new things!

Besides conventional fruit/veggie baskets, you can order organic basket and other bulk items that rotate weekly. Depending on the season you can get apples, cherries, etc. in bulk. They also have the most DELICIOUS 9 grain wheat bread. It is all my family will eat now.

One of the blogs I follow, Prepared LDS Family priced out this week's basket at Smith's Marketpalce. Here is what she posted:

8 Granny Smith apples ($2.70 SM)
6 Mangoes ($2.47 SM) How to store and prepare
14 Limes ($3.92 SM)
5 Bananas, extra large ($1.71 SM)
6 Peaches ($3.52 SM)
8 Plums ($4.58 SM)
1 lb. Strawberries ($2.19 SM)
1 pint Grape tomatoes ($3.00 SM)
1 Green lettuce head ($1.29 SM)
1 Cabbage ($1.59 SM)
1 Green onion bunch ($.69 SM)
6 Carrots, lg. ($1.39 SM)
1 Celery bunch, lg. ($1.29 SM)

Bountiful Baskets: $16.50
Smith's: $30.34
That is a 54% savings!

Isn't that awesome! I was so glad that she priced it out and posted! You can check out her site fort lots of great food storage tips here.

No comments:

Post a Comment