Tuesday, February 2, 2010

28 Day Challenge - Day 2 - The Plan

I'm jumping into the deep end of Organizing Junkie's 28 Day Challenge! My main room of focus is our primary living area -the kitchen/living room/dining room. It is all one big room and in it's current state - feels cluttered and is not living up to its potential. I'll also be tackling smaller challenges such as parts of our master bedroom, the kids, closets, etc. But for today, I'm starting the planning process for the main living area by answering the following questions:

1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?

I would like the room to be warm, welcoming, and wide open! WWW=winner! When someone comes in the front room, I want them to feel right at home and want to stay awhile. That is what I envision the overall feeling of the room to be. The purpose of the room needs to include cohesive areas that take care of the following tasks: eating, entertaining, playing, working, and storing. It's a tall order, but I'm ready to take it on in 15 minute bites!


2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?

I need storage solutions for the children's toys, a garbage/recycling area, a functioning work desk with the needed tools

3. What can I remove from the room?

Lots of things! Sending the stroller to the garage. Reorganizing the kiddos toys. Some to storage, some to their bedroom. Since we are in an apartment, I am putting some of our books into storage, too. We'll see what else doesn't make the purge! I plan on asking myself, "Do I love it? Do I use it?"

4. What problems do I see with the room?

Too much stuff! There isn't a good flow to the room or a definite design.

5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?

I would love to get a bench to act as a launch zone for my family. This is where I would put the car seat. I would put baskets underneath for things that needed to go out or with me. It would also be a cute place for my kiddos to watch for daddy to come home.

6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?

For starters, the toys cannot take over. I'm working with Mini Diva on picking up things as we are done with them. Also, in the kitchen area, I would like to take at least 15 minute after every meal to clean up.

7. What kind of a budget do I have to create the organized room of my dreams?

Still working on the budget with Dude.

8. What kind of a timeline is necessary to organize the room? (28 days!)

9. What is my plan of action?

Clean, clean, clean! Like Flylady says, you can't organize clutter! I am taking an honest look at the items and getting rid of everything we don't need. I'll post an exact timeline soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment