Monday, February 15, 2010

Best Yet Whole Wheat Bread


I have a love/hate relationship with homemade whole wheat bread. Love to eat it - hate to make it. Up until yesterday, my efforts have resulted in less than satisfactory loaves ranging from edible as toasted garlic bread to barely recognizable. Try as I might, I just couldn't get it right.

Then came along this beauty of a recipe! I went to my church's enrichment night for women. It was an informative back to the basics night. I thought I was doing okay (except for the making bread part) in the basics of cooking and food storage, but, boy, did I learn a lot! It is one thing to read a recipe off the Internet, another thing to actually be able to see it every step of the way. Helped immensely!

The second portion of the evening was on food storage. Learned a lot during it as well, but that is another post! Until then - here is the fantastic whole wheat bread recipe! I have been enjoying it's moist goodness all day! Very excited to have it with sandwiches.

Wonderful Whole Wheat Bread

Combine these four ingredients and mix well:

6 cups warm water
2/3 cup honey
2 tbsp yeast
8-9 cups whole wheat flour

Add:
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 egg
2 tbsp gluten (I found mine for 1.85/lb. at Good Earth)
1 tbsp vinegar (optional)
1/4 cup oil
2 tbsp salt

Mix well; then add additional flour until dough pulls away from the sides and begins cleaning off the sides (approximately 9 to 10 additional cups). Be careful not to add too much flour. Let the machine knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes. Roll out on oiled surface and put into four greased loaf pans. Fill half full. Let rise while covered until double (approximately 30 minutes) Preheat oven to 350 degrees). Plae bread in oven carefully with space in between loaves. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden. Remove and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment